C and Better Clear Grade | Western Red Cedar
Specifying C and Better Clear Grade Western Red Cedar (WRC) Lumber.
The Western Red Cedar Lumber Association says of the Western Red Cedar grade, C and Better Clear: “High Quality lumber for use where appearance is important. In adition to interior and exterior trim, lumber of this grade is used for cabinetry, doors, windows and similar applications.”
The Western Wood Products Associations says in its Gradeding rules: ” C and Better Clear grade it is one of the most sought after products from the clear portion of the log. It is widely used for high quality interior trim and cabinet work with natural, stain or enamel finishes.”
Other Available Board Grades
Note: all pictures are meant for a general grade description. If you want to see a more defined grade image, please let us know. We can email you pictures and grade rules.
- cv – Clear Vertical Grain – Pieces may exhibit a few minor characteristics which do not detract from their high appearance and quality. Limiting provisions include: very light torn grain, very light skips on the non-graded face and very light warp.
- a – A & Better Clear – Ideally suited to applications where finishing requirements are less exacting. Limiting provisions include: small seasoning checks , occasional very light skips on edges and backs. Allows for two small, sound tight knots or their equivalent
- c – C & Better Clear – Pieces of this grade are of sound wood. Most pieces are entirely clear or have only a few unimportant characteristics such as: medium stained sap wood , short splits, small pitch streaks and occasional small knots.
- d – D & Better Clear – This grade accounts for pieces of lumber having one or more characteristics which are of such size and number that the piece is not of C & BTR grade. Medium pitch streaks, limited pin holes, hit and miss skips, two knots approximately 1″ or their equivalent.
- tk – Select Tight Knot – The basis for this grade are the knots, burls and naturally occurring markings which are of fairly uniform distribution and add to the decorative character of the piece. Sound, tight knots: star checked and/or slightly chipped knots permitted.
- See other available grades…